Thursday, October 3, 2013

Tennis

EDM #71  Draw something representing your favorite sport. Tennis is by far my favorite sport. There are others I enjoy watching, but tennis is the only one I really understand, and the only one I really enjoy playing (besides Ping Pong, which is fantastic and I wish I had a table!). The dog is nothing to do with the sport--dogs are generally not welcome on the tennis court--but I do love how excited dogs get to pick up and carry things, particularly large sticks. This is something that always makes me smile. At first I just drew the tennis ball, but it needed something else to save it from a completely boring exercise. Enter the dog.

I have been doing lots of art, and it feels great! I've got all sorts of projects in the works and I'm having such a good time practicing different skills and feeling improvement. I have been neglecting the EDM list, however, and I don't want to do that anymore. My husband is a composer and he has a system for doing small compositional exercises to get warmed up in the morning. He rolls a die to tell him how large the ensemble is, then he rolls dice for which instruments are in the ensemble. Then he'll write a little thing--maybe it will be thrown away, maybe it will be used for something someday--that gets the creativity flowing. So I've made myself a little chart for some dice rolling, too. One roll tells me whether I'll do an Everyday Matters subject, a Julia Kay Portrait Party portrait, or a Virtual Paintout landscape. I might add illustrated recipes, too. The second roll tells me whether I'm doing it in pen, watercolor, charcoal, pencil, or colored pencils. I'm not letting myself spend more than 30-45 minutes or so on it, reminding myself that it's an exercise and it's just for fun! So far I have done two of these exercises. The first is a little watercolor (and ink, because why not?) of cows on the Isle of Wight. I didn't send it in to the Virtual Paintout website because I'd like to spend a little more time on something I send there, but I think it's a great idea for finding random landscapes. The second one is this ball and dog. We'll see how long I'm able to keep this going, but it's great fun for now!


No comments:

Post a Comment