Saturday, September 8, 2012

A Day at the Zoo

EDM Challenge #44  Draw an animal.  It was a beautiful, perfect day today, so we took Simon to the Lincoln Park Zoo, a favorite free city activity of ours.  I had SO MUCH FUN!  At first it was scary to take the sketchbook out of my bag, but once it was out and I was drawing, I had the absolute best time.  I'm kind of getting into this drawing in public thing!  I told Shawn that if he ever needed to get me a present, it would be a day at the zoo (or some other place, but the zoo was perfect) where I get to draw and he and Simon have a great time looking at animals.  Plus lunch.  My present should involve lunch, too.  Then Shawn came up with the idea of doing a sketching scavenger hunt at the zoo, where you roll dice to determine which animals you find and how long you sketch them.  It sounds like a great time, I think!

Because I was doing this so quickly -- it was basically gesture drawings of animals -- I used charcoal.  The only problem is that no matter how carefully I turned the page, it still got smudged.  I cleaned them up a bit when I got home, but is there a way to avoid the smudges?  I didn't want to bring a can of fixative and start spraying things at the zoo!  Any tricks and tips out there?







No comments:

Post a Comment