Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Pritzker Pavilion

EDM Challenge #41  Draw a landmark of your city.  It was difficult to choose a landmark -- Chicago is full of them!  Finally I decided that I would draw the concert hall and lawn where we have spent so many hours enjoying amazing music.  This is the Pritzker Pavilion in Millennium Park, and the criss-crosses hold speakers so you can hear even if you sit at the very back of the lawn.  The pavilion was designed by Frank Gehry, and it always makes me think of the Simpsons episode where Marge hires Frank Gehry to design a concert hall for Springfield (he's inspired by a crumpled piece of paper), which closes, declines, and eventually is turned into the jail.  The character Snake then escapes the prison by sliding down the walls, yelling, "No Frank Gehry-designed prison can hold me!"  I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be about Disney Hall in L.A., but it makes me laugh all the same.

I dug out my old vine charcoal that I got for my figure drawing class many years ago.  It was fun to use it again.  Now I need to see if my fixative still works -- does that stuff expire?  It's been over ten years....


No comments:

Post a Comment