Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Folded Frog

EDM Challenge #40  Draw something with folds.  I met my friend Naomi at summer music camp many years ago.  One of the first things I learned about her was that she was obsessed with Monty Python (also a passion of mine) and frogs.  She's also very good at origami and she taught me to make these little jumping frogs.  We made so many of them that summer, and I have continued to make them occasionally over the years.  When I started working at a synagogue several years ago, I made dozens of them as place cards for the congregational Passover Seder.

I used gouache today.  I'm very pleased with how some of the shadows turned out, and less pleased with how sloppy the back left leg is.  I like the background, too -- I needed to add some color, or else it would have been a terribly boring drawing.  I did make a mistake in the writing (I was thinking ahead and skipped a word) and I tried to cover it up with paint, but it just didn't work!  Oh well -- no big deal.


2 comments:

  1. This is so good!

    I'm horrible at drawing/shading folds... just horrible! They have no dimension at all...

    Your's has lots of depth! I'm jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I got lucky on this one, though -- my folds usually just look like wrinkles!

      Delete