Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Swimming Lesson

EDM Challenge #20  Draw something "Dad".  Recently, Shawn was teaching Simon to swim in the lake at his parents' house.  He did so well!  We know how important it is for kids to learn to swim, so we're going to build on this success and get him swimming this winter in an indoor pool.  By next summer, he'll be swimming across the lake!

I went with a no-details approach to this drawing, and I'm pretty happy with it!  I was reading a beautiful blog (http://scratchyas.com/) and she mentioned starting an architectural study with just the shadows, then filling in the lines later.  She showed the step-by-step process and pointed out that you could tell the structure of the building even before the lines were added because the shadows tell you so much.  I wondered if I could do it with faces.  It didn't work as well with Simon (the baby), because there wasn't as much of his face to see, but I really like the way it shows Shawn's face.  I might like it even more if I added lines and details, but I was afraid to ruin it!  I'm also happier with this water than most water I've ever drawn.


No comments:

Post a Comment